Discover the most beautiful excursion destinations starting from Upper Bavaria
An excursion will add an extra bit of fun to your holiday in Upper Bavaria. We have everything – excursions for city lovers, culture friends, adventurers! And we have put together a couple of nightlife and shopping tips for you. But be careful that our dragon, Tatzlwurm, doesn't stow away with you – he loves excursions ...
Museums & Tradition
- The Wendelstein Rack Railway (0:10 h)
The quickest way to climb the Wendelstein Mountain ...
- Audorfer Museum in the castle gate (Oberaudorf, 0:15 h)
The museum of local history in the gate in the heart of Oberaudorf. The Inn Valley's history from the ice age to the present.
- Wachtl Nostalgia Railway (Kiefersfelden, 0:20)
The oldest private narrow-gauge railway in Europe between two countries
- Blaahaus Museum (Kiefersfelden, 0:20 h)
A museum of local history including industrial history starting with iron melting in the former workers' home in 1696.
- Kufstein Castle & Glass manufacturer (Kufstein, 0:30 h)
The castle thrones majestically above the roofs of the city and takes you away to the world of the crusades and the darkest middle ages. Also: the internationally renowned glass manufacturer Riedl.
- Show distillery Zum Messerschmied (Ebbs, 0:30 h)
A traditional schnapps distillery in a 500-year-old farmhouse
- Lantenhammer Premium Distillery in Hausham (ca. 0.40 h)
A premium distillery at the Schliersee with high-proof delicacies.
- Hohenaschau Castle (0:40 h)
Built in the 12th century. With Priental Museum and Lauben Hall, which has one-of-a-kind embellishments for a building north of the Alps.
- Cemetery Museum Tirol (Kramsach, 0:45 h)
No dead people, but rather valuable blacksmith work with unusual inscriptions.
- EFA-Museum of German Automobile History (Amerang, 0:50 h)
The automobile museum in Amerang carries you off to the world of four wheels, from the beginnings to the present.
- Silver mine in Schwaz (Schwaz, 1 h)
800 m deep in the mountain. A trip back in time to the period of silver mining in one of the largest mines in the late middle ages.
Action at the Hocheck Adventure Mountain
- Hocheck Adventure Mountain with a summer toboggan run, Oberaudorfer Flieger, ropes garden and Legend trail (Oberaudorf, 0:15 h)
Sled down the exciting slope, right over bridges and over obstacles – the Formula One in the mountains! High-flyers can fulfill their dream of flying at the safest zip-line facility in the Alps, the Oberaudorfer Flieger.
- Munich (1 h)
Olympia Park, BMW World, Allianz Arena, Oktoberfest and the Hofbräuhaus – the Bavarian metropolis bridges the gap between laptop and "lederhosen" like no other city.
- Innsbruck (1:15 h)
From the famous "Goldenen Dachl", the golden roof, to the Hungerburgbahn funicular railway to the famous Isl Mountain –Innsbruck has a lot to offer.
- Salzburg (1:30 h)
Mozart city, Getreidegasse and Cafe Sacher – an excursion to Salzburg takes you away to the era of kings and emperor with majestic splendor.
Spectacular sights & unusual attractions
- The Tatzlwurm Waterfalls directly behind the Hotel Tatzlwurm (5 minutes on foot)
They have to be mentioned here, of course ...
- Grafenloch Cave (Oberaudorf)
Spectacular in a vertical cliff. Was a chivalric castle fortress in the 10th to 13th century. Located Am Audorfer Höhlenweg which includes: Ponor cave under the Schlossberg and Höhlenhaus Weber on the wall. Part of the "Inntal Underworld" with caves in Bavaria and Tyrol: Wendelstein cave, Tischofer cave and Hundalm Ice Cave.
- Gießenbachklamm (Kiefersfelden, 0:30 h)
The power of water in a deep gorge, with one of the largest wooden water wheels in Bavaria.
- Rarity Zoo Ebbs (0:30 h)
With coatis, monkeys porcupines & Co.
- Swarovski Crystal Worlds in Wattens (1 h)
Fascinating Crystal Worlds with fantastic lighting and mirror effects, a maze and the world's largest crystal
Art & Culture
- Local theatre in Flintsbach (0:15 h)
Theater Bavarian style, since the 15th century.
- Historic Knight plays in Kiefersfelden (0:20 h)
With old plays from the 19th Century in traditional performances on a baroque stage, one of a kind worldwide, Germany's oldest village theatre (since 1618)
- Tiroler Festspiele Erl and Passion play Erl (0:25 h)
Renowned pageants with a 4-week season in summer (July) and a 2-week season in the winter between Christmas and Epiphany. Passion play every 6 years, starting in 1613
- Operetten Sommer Kufstein (0:30 h)
Operetta spectacle in summer with the historic backdrop of the Kufstein Castle (End of July to middle of August).
- Passion play Thiersee (0:40 h)
Mid June to the beginning of October
Nearby bars and clubs / nightlife
- Oberaudorf: Rolleria, Audorfer Tenne
- Brannenburg: Cocktail Bar Auszeit (Sky-Bar), Irgendwie & Sowieso
- Kufstein: Cocktail-Bar Manhattan, Saga-Bar, q-west (Kunstbar)
- Rosenheim: rizz-rosenheim, 100 m², Viperroom, Cocktail-Bar Coppa Brasil, Club Blackout
Rosenheim is THE shopping city in southeastern Bavaria. Aside from large department stores (Karstadt, Real...) you can find great brands like:
- Marc o'Polo (men & women)
- Gigolo Designer clothing
- Peak Performance
- Sport Ankirchner
- Gabor Outlet Store
- Timezone Outlet Store
- D Squared
- Traditionshaus Trachten Unterseher
- and much more
For everyday necessities there are numerous supermarkets, pharmacies, drug stores, sport stores and hair dressers in the neighboring towns of Oberaudorf and Brannenburg. We'll be happy to give you tips at the reception desk. We have life's little necessities like soap, razors, toothbrushes and souvenirs right here in the Tatzlwurm hotel shop.
Tiroler Festspiele Erl
The beautifully situated Festspielhaus in Erl, Tyrol is just a few minutes away from the feurigen Tatzlwurm. Enjoy first-class cultural entertainment from and with Gustav Kuhn in a breath-taking natural backdrop and impressive architecture.
This year's program ranges from Beethoven, Wagner & Brahms to Verdi.
Our Festspiel Service
- We can organize tickets in advance for your desired date, you can pick them up upon arrival at the reception desk (please let us know which category to reserve for you).
- Hotel shuttle Tatzlwurm -> Festspielhaus and back is free of charge
- Late night snack in the evening if desired
- Late checkout until 12:00 pm