The only 4-star Hotel in Bavaria ...
... with a Tatzlwurm dragon
Here comes the Tatzlwurm, hey, ho, ho!
A relaxed and happy dragon, you should know.
Because here in this beautiful hotel,
Everyone treats me oh so well.
I won't ever leave, forever I'll stay!
Have I scared you? I certainly hope not, I say!
But why should I live in a cave dark and cold
When I can enjoy the buffet and take hold
Of the pools and saunas at night?
And enjoy the spa so I don't look a fright?
With my claws manicured, and my scales silky smooth
It feels like the spa is my fountain of youth!
The name of our 4-star hotel in Bavaria, the "Feuriger Tatzlwurm", and the address, "Tatzlwurm 1", are not without reason. Many centuries ago, a monster loomed at the waterfalls behind our house. He fed on pilgrims and farmers.
But even a Tatzlwurm moves with the times and appreciates the benefits of a 4-star hotel in Bavaria. He is at home in one of our most beautiful suites. His finest hour comes at night when everyone is asleep. First he visits the spa area, where his favorite spot is the MountainBEACH. Then he moves on to the restaurant – where we have a trainee who serves him the 5-course meal of the evening. During the day he sleeps or writes poetry on his terrace with panorama view. You can read his poetry here on the website and in the hotel brochures. And he helps us with matters of design and dragon decorations in our hotel.
A legendary hotel: The Tatzlwurm legend
The Tatzlwurm dragon lived just 5 minutes away from our hotel in Oberaudorf, Bavaria in the Gumpei Gorge. Today, he's a permanent guest in our hotel. You don't need to be afraid of him because his wild days are over. But you can read about his reign from way-back-when:
The Tatzlwurm was so bad back in the day ...
The Tatzlwurm, a dreadful dragon-like monster, lived in the Gumpei Gorge. The name of the farm, "Zum Tatzlwurm", that was located at Aschau am Auerbach 750 years ago is evidence of the dragon. The Auerbach stream tumbles 95 m down over two levels of rock in a gorge that is only a few meters wide – bubbling, roaring, foaming and spraying! The air, full of small water droplets, often shimmers with the colors of the rainbow. But at the bottom, it's dark and wet and the water thunders loudly. The perfect place for a dragon!
Now a pilgrim's path leads down this way. For centuries, devout pilgrims, loaded down with their cares and worries, have hiked from the Audorf Valley at the Inn over the mountains into the Leitzachtal to Birkenstein, to visit the pilgrimage Chapel there and ask the Virgin Mary for help or to offer their thanks because she heard their prayers.
That's just what the Tatzlwurm was waiting for, his favorite meal! He attacked the hiking pilgrims, tore them to pieces and ate them completely and left no trace. He also ate lots of farmers from the mountain meadows in the surrounding area.
Even though nobody who landed in his claws ever returned home, his appetite for devout human flesh was known far and wide. The Tatzlwurm had a huge mouth, larger than a crocodile's, full of razor sharp, pointy teeth. He breathed smoke and fire out of his nostrils and his scaled shell shimmered in all the colors of the rainbow. He walked on six stumpy short legs and he had large bat wings.
Why has the Tatzlwurm been behaving lately?
One reason is modern transportation: Pilgrims nowadays take the bus or car to the chapel in Birkenstein. And the farmers have gotten to be too old. There aren't many young ones in the mountain meadows in the summer. He switched to fish for a few years and spent his days pouting. So it wasn't hard for us to convince him to become our house dragon at the 4-star Hotel Tatzlwurm in Oberaudorf, Bavaria.
From a guest house to a 4-star hotel in Bavaria
The host family & chronicle
we, the brothers Karl and Andreas Kiesl, run the 4-star Hotel Tatzlwurm, in Oberaudorf in Bavaria together with our parents. The name of our hotel resort & spa reveals that it is an unusual hotel. And its history is enthralling – let us tell you a bit about it.
- The history of our 4-star hotel in Bavaria begins in 1863
In 1863 a local farmer, Simon Schweinsteiger, decided to build a guest house at the foot of the mighty waterfall in Oberaudorf. Artist such as Ludwig Steub, Viktor von Scheffel and Wilhelm Leible became regular guests and made the "Tatzlwurm" well-known and popular with their texts and images.
- Our great-grandparents leased the guest house in 1900.
After years of hard and laborious work they were able to buy it. The next decades were not easy.
- In 1948 the Tatzlwurm was handed down to our grandfather and his wife, Maria.
Thanks to the growing tourism sector, our grandfather and grandmother were able to renovate and modernize, and they even added the first central heating unit in a hotel in the Inn Valley! We are extremely proud of this pioneering achievement.
- In 1974 our father, Karl Kiesl, took over the Tatzlwurm at the age of 27.
He has run the hotel together with our mother, Eva Maria, ever since. Both of them made the Tatzlwurm to the hotel that it is today. Not just the main house – with the exception of the historical Leiblstube – has been renovated and modernized, but they also built the organic house "Brünnstein", the country house "zur Säge" and the "Drachenresidenz" with a spacious spa and beauty area, hotel bar and cozy rooms.
- Since then, 4 stars have shone over the Tatzlwurm in Oberaudorf, Bavaria.
- In 2002 we extended our spa and leisure offerings
Finnish panorama sauna, steam bath, aroma grotto, sensory showers, whirlpool, winter garden with a relaxation area and a solarium. Our very own fish pond for trout fishing, a small chapel, curling track and soccer field.
The Tatzlwurm wins the Gastro Award – Best Hotel Overall .
- In 2004 we surprised our guest with the DrachenSTADL barn
The wood is 300 years old and comes from old farms and mountain cabins in the region. The Tatzlwurm watches over the entrance of the DrachenSTADL just like in old times. Simply cozy.
- 2005 Tatzlwurm goes Rosenheim!
We opened a rustic mountain barn, an AlmSTADL, at the Rosenheim Herbstfest in 2005. With Herbstfest specialties, good beer and wine and cool music, of course – so much fun!
- In 2006 & 2007 we added on to the hotel and the spa area:
New junior suites and suites, a spring water swimming pool and brine grotto!
- In 2008 we built a natural swimming lake directly in front of the DrachenREICH.
Natural swimming pleasure.
- In 2010 we took a big step in the direction of climate neutral operations
A complete ecological roof renovation and a complete renovation of the rooms in the main house. The improved energy performance in the main house contributes to a reduction of the CO² emissions of the heating system by 45%!
- In 2012 we built our mountainBEACH, a spacious panorama relaxation room with real sand
and enlarges the sun deck with the most beautiful view of the mountains. Now we can use it in the winter, too.
- In 2013 we opened our large fitness room with a boxing ring
and the most modern endurance equipment available.
- From 2014: Ayurveda in Bavaria – in the 4-star Hotel Tatzlwurm!
The new Ayurveda area was opened right in time for Christmas. Ms. Zobl & the BeautyALM Team pamper our guests with ancient Indian healing rituals.
- From 2014: Even more leisure activities on the Tatzlwurm premises!
A beach volleyball court, slack line and table tennis – how about a boisterous match?
- From 2015: Tatzlwurm with the panorama gallery at the Herbstfest Rosenheim
Our cozy mountain cabin now has a panorama gallery with a great view of the Ferris wheel. A super ambience, atmospheric music and of course the best delicacies from our Herbstfest kitchen crew!
Still flowed through the valleys here,
I lived and loved, and with grand pomp
Did also like a dragon romp.
As the Tatzlwurm.
The cliffs and air and water were mine.
I flew and walked, and not in hay,
But rather in gold at night I lay
As the Tatzlwurm.
My body was so hard and scaled.
As a favorite hobby, fire I exhaled.
And every pilgrim that crawled up my hill,
I knocked him down and ate my fill.
As the Tatzlwurm.
Soon I forgot all my pride
And even ate farmers on the mountainside.
But then there came a massive flood
And nipped my dining plan in the bud,
Now I’m just a pretty picture,
A part of the restaurant’s binding stricture.
The farmers call and laugh out loud
And nobody fears the fiery cloud
Of the Tatzlwurm.
And every learned one who comes by
Scorns and yells: “He sure did die!
Oh yes! What an antiquated beast
On whom wise men’s eyes did never feast,
Oh you doubters, come to dine!
And drink a beer and Tyrolean wine …!
Back to Kufstein you'll crawl and feel
How I panted on you with fiery zeal
As the Tatzlwurm.
The proprietor then does speak a tone:
"Oh dear, oh my! Whence do they come?
They can’t walk straight ... in their heads a storm...
They only see the Tatzlwurm!
An environmentally conscious 4-star hotel in Bavaria
Are you concerned about environmental protection and are looking for an environmentally conscious hotel in Bavaria for your vacation? Then you've come to the right place! We've been living in harmony with nature for three generations – and host guests that take delight in that. Sustainable operations are part of our philosophy. Respect of nature is not only lip service in our family-run and tradition-steeped 4-star hotel in Bavaria. We live it!
The basic idea is to mould the Tatzlwurm to its natural surroundings – and not the other way around. Whenever possible, we implement sustainability and local color. For example, we use the mountain stream to cool our air conditioning. The wood that we use for building in our hotel comes from our own forest. And the fruit is from our own orchard. We also have an organic sewage treatment plant.
Learn more about our ecological concept!
An overview of the Tatzlwurm ecological concept
- Installation of water saving measures (led to a 12 % water reduction)
- automatic lighting
- our own completely organic sewage treatment plant with top water quality
- Low temperatrue heating system
- Acquisition of an efficient laundry system with exclusively environmentally friendly detergents
- Installation of heat recovery technology
- Central cooling technology to reduce cold wastage
- Installation of a modern organic modern organic einer modernen organically fuelled heating system from regenerative resources
- Acquisition of a brand new highly efficient ktichen block (reduction of gas consumption by 60 %)
- Waste prevention through the use of package-free products
- regional and seasonal purchases with our suppliers and partners from the region to avoid unecessary delivery routes
- and much more ...
The ecological concept of the Main house renovation (2010-2011)
- sustainable building & preservation of the historical building substance
- complete energetic renocation of the 90-year-old roof
- Use of compostable insulation
- Solid wood construction (environmentally friendly and optimal for the indoor climate)
- Installation of a highly efficient room ventilation
- Full heating installation according to the latest standards
The ecological concept of the "Drachenreich"
- Before construction, the top layer of soil was meticuosly removed and stored through the winter with its plants. In the spring the plants were replanted.
- The trout, eels and catfish from the hotel's lake were resettled to the nearby Auerbach stream.
- Natural material like wood & stone; priority was placed on local building material instead of overseas imports.
- Solvent-free paint and varnish
Flora & fauna around the Tatzlwurm
Together with the landscapers, architects, energy consultants & geologists a concept was put together to support and strengthen the flora and fauna. In addition to the original vegetation, many indiginous plants and trees were planted. Lots of these are on the list of protected types. In a few years, their seeds will promote the distibution of these rare species.
Are you looking for a barrier-free 4* Hotel in Bavaria?
We are proud that we are getting closer to our goal to become a completely barrier-free hotel in Bavaria! Every new project that we take on includes considerations about the barrier-free design. These are the milestones along the way to providing guests with physical challenges a wonderful vacation in our barrier-free 4-star hotel in Bavaria:
- 2009 barrier-free entrance to the restaurant
- 2009 a special parking space to allow for barrier-free check-in
- 2010 barrier-free conference and banquet rooms
- 2011 barrier-free accommodations possible
- 2012 sauna without a threshold
- 2013 barrier-free access to the sun-bathing lawn
If you have more ideas and tips for us to help us reach our barrier-free goal, then we would be happy to hear from you. Contact us directly in the hotel or send an e-mail to email@example.com
Your Feedback, please!
direct feedback is important to us because your opinion helps us get better every day.
Please send us your suggestions, ideas, tips and constructive criticism - everything that will help the Tatzlwurm become your 2nd home.
Your e-mail will reach the Tatzlwurm quality circle directly and lands on the desk where improvements are decided upon.
Thank you for your contribution
Yours, the Kiesl Family